Just A Peek
#3 in the Still Life Interruptus series
8" x 10" acrylic on masonite
Last week the Daily Paintworks challenge was to paint a gift. So of course, the first thing I thought of was a set up of my son and a big ol' wrapped present he could wreck mischief and mayhem with. This is how it went down, step by step:
1. I went to the store, bought some shiny pink wrapping paper, a ginormous curly-ribbon bow, and a small box of treats for my son's modeling fee.
2. Came home, wrapped up a box (which happened to be one of his older games that he hasn't played with in a few months, and I wrapped the treats too, because it would just be mean to have him open up a big box of nothing right?) and set the shiny present in the perfect spot of sunshine.
I did all of this without my little model underfoot, thinking he would be more excited and interested if he didn't know what I was doing. . .
3. I bring my son upstairs and show him, very nonchalantly of course, the shiny little present on the floor and stand back, camera at the ready for what I'm sure is going to be the biggest bunch of cuteness I've seen in weeks.
4. He stands there, prods the present a little bit, then walks away and comes to ask me if he can go back downstairs to play with his brothers.
5. My jaw drops. I'm flabbergasted. For real. Wasn't expecting that lack of interest. Hmmm. . .Change of plans.
6. I bring out the much smaller box of wrapped treats I got for him and let him open it. A-ha!! Now he's interested. He heads for the other present and in about fifteen seconds has it completely unwrapped.
Pretty pink paper lies shredded all over the floor.
But somehow the curly-ribboned bow managed to survive.
And there's now a smudge of chocolate on my son's face as he brings me the newly-unwrapped-old game and asks me to play with him.
So I do, of course. :)
He beats me, 2-1.
A little later, when I'm holding my boy on my lap, I wonder if John Singer Sargent had this much trouble with his models? I kinda doubt it. But, I bet he didn't have as much fun either. :)