Thursday, February 16, 2012

Enkindle - SOLD

Enkindle
6" x 6" watercolor
 SOLD
photo reference by Chris Willis (tibchris on flicker)

I've been on the lookout this year for new faces to paint. I've had sessions with two fantastic models (and by models I mean daring friends who graciously agreed to undergo the torture of posing for me. Thanks guys!), I went to a live figure drawing session with a real life ballerina (awesomeness!), AND I have gathered up a serious bunch of courage, intestinal fortitude, what have you, and have started asking people I randomly meet on the street if they'd be interested in modeling for me.

As surprising as it may seem, this last tactic has so far proven highly ineffective. Of course this may have something to do with the fact that I am all babbling awkwardness when I approach them and say something like, "Hey, you have a very paintable face, wanna pose for me?" to which they politely say "HECK no crazy lady!" while internally they are running away screaming.

True story.

I've also been searching through photos online that allow artist's to use them for paintings. And that's how I found this beautiful girl.

She reminded me of a character from one of my all time favorite books (I happen to have a lot of those), she has lovely, expressive features, and a mysterious kind of look that makes me wonder what has captured her attention. Doesn't it make you wonder too? 

And here's a pic of one of my figure drawings. We worked in short sessions (I had to leave before they did a long one), this drawing was around ten to fifteen  minutes. I'm not exactly sure since I spent the first ten minutes procrastinating out of fear looking at the model and figuring out the best way to get started. It's been a loooooong time since I've drawn the figure from life, except for those rare occassions when I've convinced my husband and kids to hold still for me for two minutes. Which is really not the same. :)

ballerina study
charcoal on newsprint

See you next week everybody! Huzzah!!

26 comments:

  1. This is huge - drawing and painting figures from life! and you have a fabulous job. The ballerina sketch is expressive and I can fully understand 'procrastination out of fear' syndrome very well - thats how I live by with even still life - forget about live figures !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely painting Crystal. I too have wanted to approach people on the street, you are a brave/crazy lady! Thanks for the laugh!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so mysterious-looking, Crystal. Makes one wonder what is on her mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Crystal, you've done such a fabulous job in capturing the mystery in her! I love those soulful black eyes, and the vivid depiction of the twist of lips! It has a wonderful old world look -- or something from the 20s and 30s... Glamorous!

    Drawing from like is so great! I am really bad at capturing gesture, so I cannot do short pose very well. But I try to go to at least a long pose session a week. It requires great concentration and the pain of not being able to do it right is overwhelming, but when you do get it, the satisfaction is also tremendous! You have such a beautiful signature with your usage of lines. They are fluid and graceful. I am so jealous of you... ;-P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can imagine you babling away to glory in front of strangers about posing for you. You should actually do it.

    By the way I loved the clean strong lines of your figure sketch. And the face you have painted has something special in it. I can figure out what. May be the eyes. Or the lips as if she is just about to say something, but not sure whether she should tell or not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for such an inspiring post! I am working up the nerve to asking friends and acquaintances to pose for me, let alone strangers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I first saw this beauty on your fb and immediately felt drawn into her gaze, I so wanted to see what she was seeing! then I come here and find out you felt the same way when painting her. Cool. Love that you're challenging yourself, but I'm not sure how you approach strangers to have them 'sit' for you :-) Good luck with that one! Hints of things to come, I'll be watching :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. amazing, amazing, amazing!!! beautifully done as always crystal! i'm so excited to see more! gee, somewhere deep down i know i've had those moments of fear..ha! i can SO relate (as you well know) and am secretly glad you get frightened too!

    i've been trying to get up enough nerve to put notes in my neighbor's mailboxes asking if they'd pose. i can't think of confronting them. good for you! i'm inspired! good luck getting those models, cannot wait to see more faces and drawings!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How beautiful. I think we all go through those moments. I love your art.
    Hugs and blessings
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is gorgeous Crystal! I love the eyes and how you do skin tones.
    If ever you are short of someone to paint, you can paint me from one of my profile pics here anytime!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/frankbingley/sets/72157623850817127/

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's some serious courage! I often am trying to figure out how to snap a photo without them noticing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. She's a beauty, and you are brave to ask people on the street. You should give them your card so they can check out your web and fb pages, then they will change their mind (from being scared) and call you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of these days you will meet someone that won't be scared ; ) I would think people would be flattered! But good on you. I've been trying to work up the nerve to ask some people in town if I can go into their backyard and paint one of their trees (I saw it when we were hiking).
    Love that you were figure drawing. And she is very exotic looking - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The figure drawing is so expressive. You've really captured her gracefulness.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The figure drawing is so expressive. You've really captured her gracefulness.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Her eyes are mesmerizing! You did a fabulous job, enjoy those figure sessions, they are like 'tune ups' for all kinds of painters!

    ReplyDelete
  17. you are such a skilled sketcher which translates into awesome paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have already told you what I think of the painting - She is exquisitely painted! What a beautiful model too! I zoomed right in on her eyes and the reflections are amazing... but then those lips... I am in awe! And the sketch - 15 minutes? Really? It would take me much longer to come up with anything nearly as good! I went to a few life classes once and also spent much of my time frozen with fear! Lol! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  19. OH CRYSTAL! This is amazing! Her eyes are so beautifully painted! I'm a people watcher as well and see so many faces out there that I would love to paint but afraid to ask them if I can take a photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I'm just speechless. Wonderful and incredible! You make it look so effortless and rich. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello Cristal,
    Your painting are really fantastic!!!
    I like so much your style.
    Greetings from Spain
    Maribel Muñoz

    ReplyDelete
  22. How do you DO that? You never cease to amaze with your portraits. Awesome!!! As for asking strangers to pose, I don't like asking if I can take a photo, let alone do a painting!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  23. A powerful painting with great expression Crystal! Have you tried the "Paint My Photo" site? It is where photos are posted for artists to paint, great site! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are doing some really cool work latley. I see a lot of growth. Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment they really do mean so much to me! Because not all bloggers have their email enabled so I can reply directly through email I will try to reply here in the comments. If I don't please forgive me, life must have been hectic that day! :)) Huzzah!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails