Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Beneath the Surface SOLD

'Beneath the Surface'
6" x 6" watercolor
SOLD

Something that always appeals to me (as far as what I want to paint next) is light. But, I think this is kind of a given for most artists. For me, specifically, the appeal is sunlight. And when I saw the sunlight shining through that top row of pomegranate seeds I thought. . . Huzzah!!! Must. Paint. Now.

My son loves fruit. He has since he was a tiny baby and I fed him mashed up bananas and squishy peaches. One night, when out looking for snacks with my husband, he decided he wanted a pomegranate. Thaaaat's right. My kid. Me. The son of the Queen of sugar and chocolate consumption chose a fruit as his snack.

Now it must be said that I do promote healthy eating and being active around here just so you know (I go to the gym every morning, see what a good example I am? And we do Tae Kwon Do as a family. And I'm constantly looking for healthy meal recipes. . . so I can indulge in chocolate of course. . . and because it's good for you), no need to be concerned for the welfare of my child.

When my son brought this treat home I was so excited, because of course, A) he was making good snack choices, and B) it sparked the fire in my artist's brain that's always on the look out for what I should paint next.

And it also forced me to google 'how to open a pomegranate' because apparently one does not just hack into one of these babies with a knife willy nilly.

Yep. I learned that the hard way. They're much, much prettier if you open them the correct way.

Until Thursday friends!

Huzzah!


30 comments:

  1. Your studies with light are wonderful, and your painting has me hankering for the tangy taste of pomegranate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pomegranates :) yours looks juicy ! I have a few sketches I did --haven't done it in color one of these days!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The light is out of this world.. I am searching for words for this one actually. BTW I love pomegranates too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal, what a glorious painting of a pomegranate!
    And "Cheers" to your fruit-lover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning pomegranate, Crystal. Maybe a celebration with some nonalcoholic pomegranate champaigne?? I've tried it, it's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I look for light too, but of course we need dark to set it off, which you have achieved here - just love how luminous you have made this fruit look. (Oh, and I didn't know there was a proper way to open this fruit!..ah well, you learn something new everyday)LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome pomegranate, mouthwatering! The contrast of luminous reds and dark background is fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous painting and and a cute post. I have never had the nerve to try preparing a pomegranate. Fortunately, my market sells the seeds ready to consume!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolutely gorgeous, Crystal. I have to buy something of yours. Are you putting this on Etsy? I have several favorites there that I'm going to snap up soon. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So gorgeous! I love poms--so yummy and so pretty! You really are great with light. You capture it perfectly. Your paintings seem to have their own light source. Just magical!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I notice how the brightness of the fruit here is set off perfectly by the near blackness of the background.
    The strength and evenness of colour you've achieved is something I find difficult to do myself, especially with the intricate edge of the fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  12. you've captured the magic of these beautiful fruits crystal !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wowsers, Crystal...this is stunning. Isn't it just crazy how the smallest of special things catch our eyes as artists. The glow you've achieved is marvelous. Love this painting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm amazed that you achieved such bold color and light/dark contrast with watercolor! You are a master.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is brilliant! At first glance in my reader I thought it was a photograph! It looks just like light is shinning through! Wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning artwork! Love the light and dark you've captured here. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. La lumière est si magique...
    Une très belle peinture avec ce fruit. Pas simple de peindre les grenades, mais vous êtes si talentueuse.
    gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is really beeeeeeeeeeeeautiful!
    I can see just why you felt compelled to paint it! I love the way the light glows through those juicy seeds. So exactly how long did your little poppet have to wait until he was aloud to actually eat his snack??? ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  19. SImply stunning. I have been painting pomegranates lately, but I leave the watercolors to the real artists. Very impressive!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a rich color! love it. I love the way the light is hitting the pomegranates. Beautifully painted, Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's absolutely beautiful!!! The light is amazing! I've painted pomegranates many times, but am ashamed to say by the time I was done with my reference photos and painting, they hit the garbage can. So, I never had to figure out how to get into one. Aren't you glad we have the internet, what did we do before google? Love this painting. So did your son like the pomegranate?

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh my, i do love this crystal! what a lovely post as well. i've never tasted one of these! i think it's time. wonderful play of light and shadow...just amazing! as always.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely gorgeous painting!The colour and light and perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful, Crystal! Love the color- want to reach out and take a bite!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ah, the fruit of the gods. A lofty undertaking, but you nailed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's beautiful! I can hardly believe it is water colors.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is OUTSTANDING! Like in all your paintings, you have captured the light beautifully. So good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment they really do mean so much to me! Because not all bloggers have their email enabled so I can reply directly through email I will try to reply here in the comments. If I don't please forgive me, life must have been hectic that day! :)) Huzzah!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails