Thursday, January 19, 2012

Salvation - SOLD

'Salvation'
6" x 9" watercolor
SOLD

Once upon a time there was a girl who loved horses. She loved them so much that every waking moment was spent reading about them, drawing them, and tracking them down wherever she could find them, just so she could be near them and twine her fingers through the tangles in their mane and hold her palm under their velvet soft lips to feel the blast of heat from their sweet scented breath.

Then one day the girl received a horse of her own and they grew up together. She taught him to follow at her side without a bridle or lead, and to stay in one spot, like the most obedient dog on the planet, until she called  for him.

He learned the sound of her footsteps and the call of her voice and waited at the gate for her every day after school. He pressed his face close to the fence, leaving behind a trail of long white and red hairs from his forelock, waiting for her to come home.

She learned empathy, understanding, compassion, love, and finally how to deal with the grief of losing your best friend when he died.

They were each other's world, and salvation. He was my best friend, and I still miss him.

Where in this wide world can man find nobility without pride,
Friendship without envy,
Or beauty without vanity?
Here, where grace is served with muscle
And strength by gentleness confined
He serves without servility; he has fought without enmity.
There is nothing so powerful, nothing less violent.
There is nothing so quick, nothing more patient.
-Ronald Duncan, "The Horse," 1954

In honor of Skye, my niece's horse in the painting above, who was rescued from slaughter by my sister and her family, ten percent from the sale of this painting will be donated to an equine rescue group. 

Painting this piece stirred up a lot of emotions for me as I reflected back on the relationship I had with my horse growing up. The story is about me, the painting is of my niece and Skye, but it feels like it could have been me as well. :)

20 comments:

  1. What a delightful painting, Crystal! As always the horse and figure are rendered so well, with those rich, glowing colors and highlights that really set your work apart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the most beautiful paintings I have seen in recent times. It touched me. Thank you Crystal..

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sort of love is all you need. Utterly gorgeous painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal It is so wonderful I love how you have captured the essence of your subjects!!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome, Crystal. And what a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful! One of my New Year goals is to own one of your paintings. Simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another stunning painting accompanied by an equally stunning commentary. Brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have captured the bond between them -very touching! Love the lights, shadows and the poem too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous and moving post! For a while I thought this was about your own childhood friend. It's a beautiful and tender painting - I LOVE it. I love how you have managed to paint the softness and warmth of his lips. How on earth do you do that?? I also love the light playing across the painting :0D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Crystal, what a wonderful story!!! And, of course, your painting is fabulous!!! I love this posting ... a hearty HUZZAH to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous story to match an outstanding painting xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful painting and wonderful use of art-in the service of others

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, lovely words Crystal, I was thinking that you were the girl until the end. Love way you've painted your niece, and the way the whole painting is softly bright and colourful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A moving story, Crystal!! and this painting is absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this post. It makes me miss my horses back home in KY.

    ReplyDelete
  16. There is so much emotion in this painting! It's beautiful!!! Love the charity you have tied to this and so happy that your sister and her family rescued that beautiful horse:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is an absolutely beautiful painting. It has soul to it, just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Every bit of your post touched me. How sweet and precious....your words and your art.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The expression on the face of the horse is so tender and humane. You captured that excellently...

    I also like the simple, understated background -- only one granulating wash with color/value change, just enough not to compete with the main subject, leaving a "quiet space" on the paper to relieve the viewer's eyes from all the busy areas of the painting.

    Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment they really do mean so much to me! Because not all bloggers have their email enabled so I can reply directly through email I will try to reply here in the comments. If I don't please forgive me, life must have been hectic that day! :)) Huzzah!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails