Monday, September 1, 2014

Snow Hat 30/30 #1

"Snow Hat"
6 x 6 oil on gessobord
NFS
 
 
This painting is a series of firsts for me.
 
The first painting in my new house. (YAY!)
 
The first painting this year.
 
The first painting for the 30 in 30 challenge hosted by Leslie Saeta.
 
And probably some more that I just can't think of right now.
 
This is from a photo of my oldest son (who is 12 now) when he was just 2 years old wearing a big ol' snow hat.
 
Starting this painting after nearly a year off was full of surprises for me. The main one was that I hadn't forgotten as much as I thought I had. It didn't take me very long to get back in the groove of painting. Which was a welcome relief. In a way, being back at the easel felt a little like coming home.
 
But it was different as well. After spending so much time making stylized, cute animals (Tumble Creatures), I've developed a new way of seeing. A sort of shorthand, which was really, really cool. I no longer feel like a slave to a reference photo, which always bothered me a lot before.
 
I'm really excited, and so thankful to Leslie for having this challenge (and that no one else from Utah had signed up, which is what prompted me to sign up in the first place.) I know I won't be doing a painting every day for this challenge, I still have a lot of other art obligations I'm already committed to. But I'm happy to be back painting again, for me this time. <3 p="">
 
How have you all been??? I've missed you all so much. :)
 
 
Reading: The Search for WondLA by Tony Diterlizzi
Watching: Top Chef
Listening to: One Republic
Snacking on: Granola bars
Drinking: water (boring I know. ;)


16 comments:

  1. Welcome back Crystal. Love the rough direct approach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back Crystal! and wishes for happy painting days ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work, Crystal! Look forward to upcoming work!!
    Best wishes, Sadami

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Crystal! It's so nice to see you back!!! I hope you're all settled in your new home!! I missed you and your fantastic work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonjour chère amie,

    Le mois d'août est terminé, les vacances également... En ce qui me concerne, il est temps de reprendre mes habitudes... Je suis heureuse de vous retrouver et d'ouvrir à nouveau la porte de votre univers et d'y découvrir de nouveaux trésors. Très joli billet !
    Bien sûr que vous nous avez beaucoup manqués... j'ai souvent pensé à vous ! Une bonne nouvelle qui illumine ma journée que de pouvoir admirer à nouveau vos oeuvres.

    Gros bisous ♡

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so good to have you back Crystal, you haven't lose your touch at all, beautiful portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Crystal, it is SO very wonderful to see you are painting again!!! And with a "new eye". I am moving in the same direction myself, away from trying closely to follow reference photos.
    I hope you and your family are well and happy, and enjoying your new home.
    Kathryn XX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely to see you back!
    It's been an eventful year for us too, not in a good way - but things are getting back to normal - and I too am getting back to painting.
    To see you back painting makes me feel that everything is returning to normal. Your new eye is fabulous. I look forward to seeing where you go with it.
    much love xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought you had dropped off the planet! I emailed you a few times too, to see where you were... I'm so glad that you are back painting again and I hope you stick with it after your break because the paintings you produce are just amazing and far too amazing to be locked up inside your head. I can't wait to see the next one! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ditto to all above, your work is always such a joy to see

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the painting!!
    So good to see you back painting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good information and great post. I like the website, and am sure to keep returning.
    Cook at best weight watcher recipes foods.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for your post. This is excellent It is amazing and wonderful to visit
    ซอมบี้

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment they really do mean so much to me! Because not all bloggers have their email enabled so I can reply directly through email I will try to reply here in the comments. If I don't please forgive me, life must have been hectic that day! :)) Huzzah!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails