Friday, May 25, 2012

Smitten Sketchbook Saturday

Smitten sketchbook study
Prismacolor on some sketchbook paper :)

Ahem. Your attention please ladies and gentlemen, while I define my purpose in sketching. The purpose of my sketchbook is thus, in order of importance: 1. practice 2. fun

And that is all. I want to be the best artist I possibly can be and I firmly believe that drawing practice is the way to get there. And drawing is fun. Enough said.

I don't usually do preliminary value studies before my paintings. I tend to get bored if I focus on one thing for too long. I guess you could say I have a

 - SQUIRREL!! -

wait a minute. . . what was I talking about?

Oh yeah, a short attention span. :)

So, I was saying that I ususally don't do preliminary value studies before a painting, but this baby is most definitely going to be a painting. A black and white one similar to 'Magnetic'. It actually is the same couple too. :)

This is another sketch done in my car while waiting for my boys. I wonder, now that summer's here, if I'll miss sketching in  my car. :)

Nah, probably not.

See you Tuesday!

And one other thing before I go, I've been posting more frequently on my facebook fan page. Behind the scenes stuff like works in progress and the daily ups and downs of being a momma/working artist. I have a close up photo of a current work in progress over there right now and I'm asking everyone to guess what it is. If you're the first one to guess it you win a page from my sketchbook. Fun right? Clicky clicky right here to like me if you'd like. :)

Now, seriously. See you Tuesday my friends! Huzzah!!

Photo reference by Mariana Amorim, thank you! 

13 comments:

  1. Your first in the smitten series was too cool. This looks cool too. Looking forward to this. And now I am a fan of your FB fan page too.
    Huzzah..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Prabal. :)) And thanks for liking me too! Huzzah!

      Delete
  2. Une publication qui m'a fait bien sourire... J'aime votre spontanéité dans vos mots comme dans vos dessins... Tout comme vous je me lance directement sur ma toile, jamais d'étude auparavant, je laissa aller mon ressenti... avec ses erreurs, peut-être, mais ce n'est pas grave!
    Ce croquis est adorable que vous avez fait...
    je vous fais moi aussi ! de gros bisous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martine you are so sweet! Thank you very much, glad I made you smile. :) And it's good to know that someone else just jumps in like I do too!

      Delete
  3. You cracked me up! I'm sort of the same way. I don't know if it's a short attention span, or an very active mind constantly seeking and finding new stimulation. Sounds better than having "the attention span of a flea"! :) Keep that mind MOVING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Glad I cracked you up Kathryn! :) I think I like your way of saying short attention span better, that's what I'm going to say from now on. Active mind. :)

      Delete
  4. I'd like to jump in here too. I'll take flea. No time for sketch books. I burst right onto the canvas where drawing/painting is the only way to fly. If you're going to spend time in the car, sketchbook is the way to go. This one looks thorough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apart from this beautiful sketch, which I just saw on Facebook - it really is heart warming - I think the snippet is colourful glass with the light shining through on to the surface it sits on. I'm probably as far from it as I was the last time you did this, lol! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a sketch book for sketching and a notebook for writing ... somewhere ... I always mean to use them ... maybe, one day.

    Look forward too see how this sketch develop[s

    ReplyDelete
  7. It doesnt quite look like you dont do value sketches, because our values are always so spot on. Cant wait to see the final version of this one.
    Best wishes,

    ReplyDelete
  8. YESH! sketchbooks for the win Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful! Looking forward to seeing this as a painting!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment they really do mean so much to me! Because not all bloggers have their email enabled so I can reply directly through email I will try to reply here in the comments. If I don't please forgive me, life must have been hectic that day! :)) Huzzah!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails