new watercolor work in progress
10" x 14"
reference photo by faestock on deviantArt
So. I felt like it was about time I did a bigger painting. There is just nothing like big splashy watercolor backgrounds. So much fun. The background and her hair are finished, just the rest of her figure needs work. When I started this painting I masked off the entire figure (after I had painted her hair) with a combination of frisket film (for the majority of her figure) and masking fluid to seal the edges. It looked like this:
It ended up working really well. There's just that one spot on her arm that leaked, but that's a dark area anyway so it won't matter. Which is a good thing because I used a ton of pthalo blue in the background, which if you're an artist you know NEVER COMES OUT OF ANYTHING. I've ruined quite a few shirts by splashing pthalo around indiscriminately.
I had originally planned to pour the background on this painting. But after giving that a try on another painting that I did for a fundraiser with my son's class, I decided not to. I really don't care for pouring. I think it gives the most beautiful and luminous results, but I don't have the patience for it. Maybe one day I'll give it a try again.
Speaking of my son's class fundraiser I just remembered I never showed you guys the finished painting! Here it is, they did a really great job I think. :)
The finished painting! I had three of the girls write the quote with a wax resist crayon and then each kid got to pour several cups of paint onto the painting. There were about 65-70 kids and each one of them got a chance to build up this painting. It was really cool. The stars are colored pencil drawn on once the painting dried. But the letters are entirely wax resist. It worked out pretty awesome I think. Considering all the paint that got poured onto it.
Until tomorrow friends!
Listening to: The Dead Weather
Reading: old art magazines
Watching: my crazy dog hiding in the curtains
Snacking on: Cadbury mini eggs
She is such a good hider. :)