Saturday, July 7, 2012

Lashes Sketchbook Saturday and some Huzzahs



I started this little sketch in the car (I swear I do my best sketching there, it's almost like I can't sketch anywhere else!) yesterday, trying to be quick and expressive. I never erase these sketches in my sketchbook either, what you see is exactly what I lay down the first time I touch pencil to paper, which perhaps explains why they aren't exactly perfect, but I like that.

By the time I had to stop drawing in the car I had finished her face and just barely laid in a few strokes to suggest her hair.I should have left it as it was. I came home and filled in the rest of her hair and I wished I hadn't. I really think it would have been better to just keep my initial impression of her instead of filling in every last detail.

A good lesson to learn to translate to my paintings I think. Stick with my initial impressions! Don't go back in and over work! Something I say over and over again when I teach workshops. Ah well, lesson learned. :)

Happy Saturday all! :)

Huzzah!

Had a question from LW Roth who asked me what I mean by shouting Huzzah all the time, I wrote a blog post about it some time ago, but here in a nutshell is what it means:
 
Huzzah
huz·zah also huz·za (h-zä)
interj. n.
Used to express joy, encouragement, or triumph.
1. A shout of "huzzah."
2. A cheer.
 
There you have it, and so I leave you with yet another. . .  Huzzah!! :)
 
 

7 comments:

  1. It is wonderful just as it is Crystal! Funny that you wish to take it back, as I often photograph my artwork with my phone as I progress, I can't tell you how many times I wish I had stopped at one of the earlier stages :/ Keep hoping to figure that out a little sooner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a beeeeeautiful sketch! It would take me ages to draw that!! And these definitely wouldn't be my first lines, lol! Can't you at least pretend you find it difficult, to make me feel better? ;0)
    I almost always get to a point with my paintings where I wished I hadn't made that one last step! I am slowly learning by it. It seems to be something we all do! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It used to be: "Three cheers ...hip hip"
    "Hurrah" (three times)

    Then it became "Three cheers ...hip hip"
    "Hooray" (three times)

    The posh people stayed with the Hurrah ....whilst the rest of us, Guvvna, stuck with the latter.

    Then came the Crystal revolution (plus no doubt America's Webster's Dictionary)which led to a mass migration to Huzzah.


    Meanwhile, back at the sketch - lovely eyelashes, generous mouth, lots of brooding beauty as she consider shouting Huzzah! Great work, Guvvna!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great sketch, Crystal! and in the car!! I'm impressed. It doesn't look overworked at all.!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great sketch. I understand what your sentiments about stopping sooner as I often feel the same way about my work, but I think this looks fantastic! I really like the dark values of her hair as it makes her face stand out. It's more graphic this way and creates a strong composition. I think you do great work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't go back in and overwork it...I can apply that to my writing as well. :)

    Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely sketch.. and great to know that you too have sometimes gone one step too far.. huzzah for being human :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment they really do mean so much to me! Because not all bloggers have their email enabled so I can reply directly through email I will try to reply here in the comments. If I don't please forgive me, life must have been hectic that day! :)) Huzzah!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails