Thursday, July 19, 2012

Raven - sold

'Raven'
5" x 5" watercolor
Sold

Sometimes I tell myself that I need to have these big, grand ideas for paintings with meaning and substance that will change society and make an impact with all who sees it.

But I only tell myself that maybe once a decade or so. :) The rest of the time I am happy to paint what I'm drawn to, whether that's a particular look that a model has, or the shape of their face, or as in this case the color of their hair. I've never painted blue hair before. It was fun. :)

And every time I see a woman with blue hair (which is really not all that often. . . surprisingly) I always think of Karou from Laini Taylor's book (and my top favorite three books of all time) 'Daughter of Smoke and Bone.'

“Karou wished she could be the kind of girl who was complete unto herself, comfortable in solitude, serene. But she wasn't. She was lonely, and she feared the missingness within her as if it might expand and...cancel her. She craved a presence beside her, solid. Fingertips light at the nape of her neck and a voice meeting hers in the dark."

reference photo by psylight on Deviant Art

Until Saturday my friends! :) Huzzah!

18 comments:

  1. gorgeous Crystal - that blue is striking - I'm glad you paint what you are drawn to - that's how it should be!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huzzah to you too Crystal. This is gorgeous! Leave Liberty Leading the People to others and definitely go on painting what you are drawn to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That portrait feel so now, with her blue strikes in the hair. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow look at that blue. It just glows.. In my wildest dreams I would have never painted hair blue. And here you have painted it as if blue is the color of hair. WOW..

    ReplyDelete
  5. extraordinaryly beautiful, Crystal, you've done it beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness, Crystal!!! She's gorgeous..Blue hair, beautiful skin tones and wonderful expression!!! Love it.!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good portrait, beautiful blue colors. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way you get your darks to glow...and I love the decisive way you've painted her profile. Captivating piece!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The colors in this painting are striking. Where I work, I see blue, pink, and purple hair every day! Haha. (I work at an entertainment media college.) Personally, I'm a little partial to funky hair, as long as it's done in a tasteful way. This portrait is so beautiful and the hair is what makes it unique...I think you've inspired me to add a streak of my own! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the hair with blue and black.. is absolutely beautiful. Nice weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a way to bring intrigue into the story you are painting! And as always glowing skin tones ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful, striking portrait! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so beautiful! And what a gorgeous face to paint! I have never seen anyone with blue hair before. I'd never be brave enough to dye my hair that colour!
    I think my favorite part are those big, smoky eyes. This girl has 'attitude' written all over her, lol! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with everyone here. The hair just glows! And so does the entire painting! You have captured the delicacy of her personality so skillfully!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This really is beautiful Crystal. I've always wanted hair like this. You did an amazing job on this painting. Enjoy your weekend. Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
  16. She really has the personality of a comic/fantasy heroine -- that attitude! I love your brushwork on the hair -- and, this is so interesting, I have painted from the same deviant art account's stock photo digitally years ago, when I was in graduate school and started to take undergraduate digital painting classes for fun! I was a terrible painter then so I won't share my meager efforts, but, she was on my watch list on Deviant art! Haha! It's like a lifetime ago...

    ReplyDelete
  17. dog training canberra

    Lovely portrait. It looks polished and you have a keen eye for details. I so love the hair its like a blue flame that glows.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Crystal:) I love this painting. Every detail of this portrait is perfect! The blue/black hair, the dark eyes, the nose and the lips; perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment they really do mean so much to me! Because not all bloggers have their email enabled so I can reply directly through email I will try to reply here in the comments. If I don't please forgive me, life must have been hectic that day! :)) Huzzah!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails