Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Sketchbook Tuesday #3


sketch of my main character

     A few weeks ago I mentioned an artist that was inspiring me, her name's Kim Kincaid. I love her portraits and especially her drawings, both in pencil and colored pencil. She has a section on her website that you can find here, featuring fan art she has done from some books that she likes. I wanted to give it a try. I thought maybe I'd draw Katsa from Graceling, or Jace from the Mortal Instruments, but then I thought maybe I'd give my very own character, from the book I'm working on, a try. So here he is.

     This drawing is in between a finished drawing and a sketch, and if you're thinking that he looks an awful lot like Steven Strait (an actor), well you'd be right, I used a photo of him I found as a model. This isn't quite how I picture my character, but it's close. I think I want to give it another try a little later. I picture him to have sharper, more angular features. I do like the look of warmth on his face here, it looks to me like he's trying to hide it, but just can't. I wonder who in the world he could be looking at like that? ;) But still, I like this :) It was fun, and good practice.

Oh and I forgot to mention that on Thursday I will be doing a post on time management, so if you have any questions or thoughts just leave them in the comments :)



16 comments:

  1. Your sketch is very good, Crystal. He's handsome, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No no, Kim. He's HAWT! I'll read that book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful drawing of an extremely handsome fellow!
    I am SO glad you are doing a post on time management Crystal - This is something that as you know, I really struggle with. Any tips would be so welcome! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome! I think it's a great idea to have a real visual of what you think your character looks like....I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a project! I love the intensity of expression and the play of light and shadow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very, very nice Crystal. I agree, it's great to have a visual of your characters. Wait until they start telling you what they want to do............hmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are soooo gifted Crystal!! Beautiful sketch, just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY!!!!! I love it!!! I'm so jealous of your ability to capture your characters. I tried that for years, but my portraits are le suck.

    His hair is longer than I imagined, but I love LOVE the face--especially those lips! MEOW!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo Crystal! He's a sexy man! ha ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Crystal, you are so wonderful with portrait... I would comment like Kim said....HoTTTT ButTTTT So COOLLL....I love a lot how you got them beautiful shadow&light and great mood on him!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Man.. what a surprise.. You write too.. Being a mom, painting and writting.. Not to forget practcing for Marathon.. And of course blogging..I think you should have written the time management article long time ago.. I am waiting for it.

    And this character of your novel is wicked. :) He is handsome and seems like a good human being.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Me likes! This is pretty much how I pictured him. You are teasing me here. I must read your chapter again to get my fix. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there!

    Shortstorybook.net is organizing a short story writing contest.

    We do think that you too might have a marvelous story to tell, one that is your own! So if you can compose it in not more than few words, we would want to hear from you. Also, you stand a chance to get your story published on our site and win cash prize of USD 100.

    “Then what are you waiting for? …put on your thinking cap and get writing. For registration and other information check - http://bit.ly/short-story-contest-2010

    Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks so much everyone! Christine, Summer and Catie, I hoped you liked him especially since you've read parts of the book. :):)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, he's a total hottie :) Now I can picture him in my head when I read!! You want to do the illustrations for mine? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment they really do mean so much to me! Because not all bloggers have their email enabled so I can reply directly through email I will try to reply here in the comments. If I don't please forgive me, life must have been hectic that day! :)) Huzzah!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails