Wednesday, July 28, 2010

WIP Wednesday


new watercolor portrait

     Thanks you guys for all those nice things you had to say about my sketch yesterday :):):) It made me so happy.

     I have finally started this portrait! It's been sitting here for so long waiting for me to put those first washes on it, and last night I finally did. I think a lot of what was holding me back was fear. After a few of my paintings weren't what I wanted them to be I lost confidence in myself. I doubted that I could even paint at all, and I thought I can just see the giant mess I'll get myself into if I put my brush down on that beautiful drawing.

     But I decided to quit being such a perfectionist and just get started. And I'm glad I did. I'm hoping *crossing my fingers* that I'll get this done by Friday. I need to have a painting finished that I'm happy with, for myself. My works in progress pile is getting frighteningly large, and that kind of makes me panic. I don't know why, probably because I'm looking at it and thinking of all that I have to do.

     I think I may go out and look for some new reference material today. I was invited to participate in a holiday art show that starts in November and I think I may do a series of small paintings for that, I'm thinking some kind of newborn baby theme. Wish me luck!

     So, what are you guys working on?

15 comments:

  1. This is looking great already Crystal, your portraits area gorgeous...really looking forward to seeing the next stage...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you suffer from the "fearful stall" as well? From what I see of your work, you seem to know exactly what you are doing. This is a wonderful beginning. The shadows have nice, rich warmth to them. Keep going and sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it already!!! Self-doubt-I think the only way around it is what you are doing -- keep on painting :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Fearful stall" I like that. That pretty much sums it up. I think everyone goes through it. I will selfishly admit that I find it comforting that an artist of your caliber still goes through all of the self-doubt moments. I think that your painting is shaping up to be a beauty. I think that you are handling your slump well by just diving head first in and pushing yourself through. Can't wait to see the finished painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Starting out wonderfully, Crystal. And, you don't need luck with talent like yours; it's obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is going to be great. Wonderful light and shadows. Good luck on the holiday show.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good that you started this.. This is already looking great.. I am still waiting for the time management write up. And yes I'll not read the article if you are on kryptonite. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ce portrait d'enfant est d'une grande beauté et dénote d'un très beau talent d'artiste.
    Félicitations,

    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to seeing this Crystal, and nice sketch by the way)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it already. You can really see the concentration in his face. I can't beleive that you every doubt yourself! I haven't seen one painting or sketch on your blog that isn't stunning :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Breathtaking!!! You do glorious washes Crystal. It's already beautiful. Your holiday themed paintings sound inspired! I can't wait to see what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your artwork : ) You use watercolors so beautifully. Your show sounds exciting, best of luck. I’m sure you’ll create something stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wishing you the very best for the show. This WIP is coming out quite good already.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This painting is coming along perfectly and you've left it at a point where everything is just right. It's going to be good, it's going to be great. Cast thy demons aside!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't wait to see this finished...it is so beautiful as it is!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment they really do mean so much to me! Because not all bloggers have their email enabled so I can reply directly through email I will try to reply here in the comments. If I don't please forgive me, life must have been hectic that day! :)) Huzzah!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails