Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Devotion, Katie's story

'Devotion'
6" x 6" watercolor
$100



"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

- Unknown

Since this seems to be the year of Trying Something New for me I've been searching for new subjects that inspire me as much (well, maybe not AS much, but close) as my children. And I've come to realize that something that will always inspire me is faces, whether they be, people, animal, or possibly reptilian (more on that later).

I found Katie, the English Setter above, at an animal adoption at our local Petsmart. Now, first of all I try to avoid these adoptions because I know I will see some sweet face that I will want to take home but won't be able to. And that will hurt my heart. Two Giant Schnauzers leave little room or time for any other pets. Also, my husband would not be happy with me if I brought home another furry family member. Not. Happy. At. All. 

But, I needed dog food so off I went, with my camera slung across my shoulder, hoping to find a little boa constrictor face to paint (that's right I said boa constrictor. What? I think they have kind of cute faces, they look nothing like Voldemort I swear).

The boa was hidden and not at all willing to model as my muse so I headed over to the dogs, steeling myself against all adorable canine wiles. Or so I thought.

That's when I saw Katie.

She was so calm, mellow, and sweet. I instantly fell in love with her. And she looked so sad, like her heart was broken. I don't know what circumstances brought her to the shelter, but I could not imagine how anyone could willingly let this sweet girl go. I watched her for a while, and saw the dogs next to her get taken out by new families. But none came for Katie. 

Eventually she did find a home, hopefully this time for the rest of her life. She deserves it, because a sweeter dog I have never met. A portion of the proceeds of the sale of this painting will be donated back to Katie's shelter, The Utah Animal Adoption Center, a no kill shelter for dogs, cats, and horses.

I think I'm going to be painting more puppy faces, because Katie was a joy to paint. And I'm still looking for that elusive boa constrictor. . . :)

Have a great week everyone!

Huzzah!!! (It's been a while since I said that, so I just had to.)

29 comments:

  1. Aw, very sweet! Glad she has a new home! We have 4 rescue pets... and we've had two more that passed through during their 9 lives journey - we're suckers for a sweet pet with an irresistible face!

    Gorgeous painting!!! And I'm a sucker for snakes, so I hope you get a good picture of that boa on a different day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww :( I loved reading this. That is why Alissa and I had to stop volunteering at our animal shelter. It was the not knowing where they came from and what happened to them after we left them. We also wanted to bring every single one of them home. Such sweet animals all needed a loving home. You know me, I kinda take on too many as it is and try so hard to give them all a great home. It's awesome that you are helping out the shelter. I was thinking of doing some free photo shoots for the adoption agency around here. After all a picture is worth a thousand words :) And if I could help them get loving homes it would be wonderful! Love ya sis! Huge your big puppies for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I meant *hug* your puppies, although they are huge too :) Blonde moment for sure. 40 C. T :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a powerful painting.. You can immediately feel the sadness. And also it makes you feel helpless. Katie's face is turned away at such an angle away from the viewer as if she is saying.... Thanks, but you cant help me... This is the power of art of Crystal Cook..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful portrait of this dog! What a sweetie! And I know what you mean about falling in love with them all...we have three rescue dogs - had a fourth but he died of old age in January. We are also PETA members and vegan...can't abide the abuse of animals. sigh. It would be nice to give them all good homes or to allow enough decent habitat for our wild friends to live happily. Still there are day I wish I lived in a cleaner, hair-free house, or not making expensive trips to the vet, or dealing with muddy footprints...but how can one say "NO" to a face like the one you painted? (I enjoy watching the little garden snakes we have living on our property but not so crazy about their bigger cousins -still I would never want to see one hurt).

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. crystal, this is just stunning! and what a beautiful story, i'm so glad katie found a home. such a gorgeous painting and a great idea for subject matter. i have a snake phobia but also think boa's faces are like puppies. just can't not think about what they'd do to one. gak! lovely work and words as always.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As with people, the way you paint the eyes does the trick :) Beautiful portrait! I love the brush stokes on the fur too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Crystal, WHAT a beautiful story!!! You have inspired me to do something similar for our Langley shelter. You are SUCH a cool person to know, Crystal - I feel privileged.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Crystal,
    Touchy story and a lovely portrait!! They imply...how nice you are!!!
    Cheers,Sadami

    ReplyDelete
  11. A very touching post - and it is great you are taking action to benefit the rescue shelter. English setters are sweet dogs and you have captured her breed as well as her soulful expression - beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  12. En cette période particulière de l'année il est bon de lire ta publication... et d'admirer ta belle Kate... Tu as su magnifiquement saisir son regard...
    Lorsque j'enseignais au conservatoire nous avions travaillé sur le phénomène atroce de l'abandon des animaux avec mes élèves. Nous avions réalisé une belle exposition et nous avions tous espéré sensibiliser l'âme de chacun de faire en sorte que jamais cela puisse de produire...
    Gros bisous et j'ai hâte d'admirer de nouveaux portraits animaliers...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Crystal, you have me crying over here in NC. Your work is so powerful. What a talent. Katie's face is heartbreaking. I have a big dog, Rufus that I swear I love just about as much as my daughter and I ride and work with horses. So, your post has lots of meaning for me. I too hope that Katie has found her forever home.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a powerful painting, you captured the essence of something that just pulls at the heart. Hoping Katie has a life that will fill that face with contentment.
    Do keep painting these wonderful portraits.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my... What a moving post.
    She does look completely adorable and I am so glad there is a happy ending and she found a home.
    It seems that faces are your thing - the dog is just so beautifully painted and not at all over worked. She looks fresh and alive, just as she should! Hmmm... would I like to see your Boa-Constrictor? Yes. But will I like it? I am eager to find out because snakes terrify me!!! We only have grass snakes over here, which we often find in our garden, oh and Adders, which I have only ever seen one of - phew!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous painting. And a very fortunate Katie for finally finding home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. From one animal lover to another, thanks so much for sharing this story,. BJ

    ReplyDelete
  18. The painting is beautiful You have captured the life and sweetness in her eyes perfectly.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Huzzah Crystal, Katie's portrait is awesome. Looking forward to seeing more. If I find a boa photo I'll forward it to you. I know there "ain't nothin' like the real thing baby" but sometimes a photo's just gotta do!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Crystal, I've been looking at sweet Katie this week and I'm finally finding the time to leave a comment. What a sweet portrait, her eyes tell it all. You've done such a beautiful job, especially on a 6x6 scale, amazing! I hope her home is happy and forever and love that you're donating to an animal shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your story made me want to cry! It breaks my heart to see animals without homes. I hope Katie's in a deserving and loveing home now. Great painting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I admire your work - I love the daily painting movement & follow many of the artists involved. Thank you for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Crystal!! what a beautiful story! So emotional for all of us who love animals. The painting is wonderful...and you are such a kind person!! I am so happy Katie found a home. Hopefully she will be happy with her new family.

    ReplyDelete
  24. yes I think you should paint more puppy faces too

    ReplyDelete
  25. If you ever teaches a portrait (human or animals) painting workshop, please count me in -- I am dying to see how you develop these absolutely gorgeous paintings with lush colors and dramatic contrasts!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment they really do mean so much to me! Because not all bloggers have their email enabled so I can reply directly through email I will try to reply here in the comments. If I don't please forgive me, life must have been hectic that day! :)) Huzzah!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails