Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Pointed Conversation - SOLD

Pointed Conversation
5" x 7" watercolor

A few years ago I saw this massive Clydesdale at a horse show and just stopped and stared at her for a while. She was dozing while her owner and another person talked and gestured around her. I even saw a toddler in a trike zooming around her feet (!!!). She didn't move a muscle. Truly a gentle giant.

The horse person in me was drawn to her beauty, power, and kind disposition.

The artist in me was drawn to that fantastic sunlight and dramatic light and shadows. Huzzah! 

I've had this photo hanging around for about six years, just waiting for me to paint it. It's from an ancient film camera too. Sometimes I'd pull it out and look at it and want to paint it so much. But I was scared.  

It wasn't a really clear shot, and it was kind of dark. And I wanted to paint it BIG so that ginormous horse would have lots of presence and drama, but wasn't quite sure I'd be able to pull it off. 

Then last week I decided to give it a try as a small piece. I intended to just paint a study of the horse and leave the background white. But then I thought the figures made a nice story and added interest.

After the horse was painted I felt a flash of bravery (or possibly recklessness, depending on the outcome), so I splashed some bright colors around to make some background shapes for the barn and shadows. And really liked the result. :)

Now that I've done this small painting I think I have the courage to paint this baby BIG! Isn't it funny how sometimes fears that we have, usually of failure, have such a powerful effect on what we do or do not do?

Be gone fear!  

Be brave! Huzzah!

26 comments:

  1. Along with all the other usual stuff I just love the colors you have splashed in the background and shadows. It just livens up the entire space.. And talking about fear.. I guess by just painting and practicing finally that is what we are trying to overcome. Everybody is a born painter. Just need to overcome a good amount of fear. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Crystal, You have truly done a great job with the Clydesdale! And the shadow ares of many colors are so beautiful! HUZZAH!! And let us all overcome our fears!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a soft spot in my heart for draft horses! Horses are so hard to capture in a photograph not to mention a painting. Yours is amazing!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's stunning, Crystal!! I can't wait to see the large version. The gentle giant reminds me of our bull mastiff, kids ride him, step on him and he never moves just lets it all happen. Such gentle souls! You've captured the calm nature of this giant! Your colors are bright and glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have done a brilliant job, love the colours you used.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colorful shades in the painting. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this small one and am so looking forward to see you paint this one large.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome one, Crystal. Looking forward to the larger version.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Un beau travail que cette petite aquarelle.
    Je reviendrai voir la nouvelle version, au moins lorsque je reviendrai en septembre.
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely beautiful. I'm glad you were brave and splashed in the gorgeous bright colors. They are a wonderful contrast to the figure of the horse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this! Absolutely amazing work. The colors are fantastic and oh the way you captured her majestic beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is an amazing painting! The colors are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful job on this - you always make such wonderful use of both value and vibrant color in your watercolors.

    This is definitely one that you should "go big" on :).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I love the colours. Blue and orange always appeal to me. The painting is lovely. Cant wait for you to finish the larger piece. Hope you do that soon.
    Best wishes,

    ReplyDelete
  15. fascinating bust of energy through vibrant colours!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fabulous color! WOW...andlove the doggie below too. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great work Crystal!The colors in the shadows look absolutely awesome.Would love to see the larger version of the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a BEAUTIFUL horse! And painted SO tenderly and SO sensitively. It is a marvel! The light is superb - I could almost touch that glossy coat! Just... Wow! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  19. strong stunning and just breathtaking...the painting and the beast! work of this caliber was indeed painted by a fearless artist! amazing! huzzah!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous painting.
    Will look out for the bigger one :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely beautiful painting, Crystal. It's amazing to see the size of this gorgeous horse next to the people. It just shows you how huge this gentle giant is. Great job.!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous! I doesn't look like you were afraid--this say "Bravery!". I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. very dramatic colors, value and brushstokes! very cool:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment they really do mean so much to me! Because not all bloggers have their email enabled so I can reply directly through email I will try to reply here in the comments. If I don't please forgive me, life must have been hectic that day! :)) Huzzah!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails