Thursday, December 6, 2012

Aurora Borealis

'Aurora Borealis'
6" x 6" oil on panel
$100 plus $10US shipping, $15 International



This is one of the oil paintings I did a few weeks ago. And it was my personal favorite. I painted it on a bright pink ground, and then added some yellows and oranges under her chin to make it look like she was glowing. Like the Northern Lights. 
 
I used to have a dog who looked just like this when I was younger. She was such a sweetheart. On cold winter nights she would raise her muzzle and howl and it always gave me the chills, not because it was scary, but because it was so beautiful. :)

Reference photo by Irene Shubi, thank you!

12 comments:

  1. Wow those eyes! you are so good at eyes, love all the colors in his coat, perfect title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the personality that comes through and the beautiful light on his coat,great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an intent look, just love the overall effect you achieved with this and to think it began with a bright pick background! Love the sound of their howls, hauntingly beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Her expression and the colors are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful color! Who would have thought pink? An intelligent portrait of an intelligent dog. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beeeeeautiful! I love the colours you have used. The colours in that fur are just exquisite! And who'd have thought that those glowing colours would work so well - and yet they make the painting all the more amazing! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The eyes says it all, Crystal...love the colors..and brush strokes you put into this beautiful painting.!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very clever painting! The eyes are haunting.

    Wonderful, Crystal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a perfectly creative name for this perfect painting! I just love it, Crystal. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Crystal:) A great choise all the different colors around the head! The eyes are stunning. Great job. Have a nice sunday:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would never have dreamed of using such colours like this but they work perfectly. As everyone else has said, those eyes are amazing. Great work.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment they really do mean so much to me! Because not all bloggers have their email enabled so I can reply directly through email I will try to reply here in the comments. If I don't please forgive me, life must have been hectic that day! :)) Huzzah!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails