Thursday, June 7, 2012

Puppy Stripes - sold

'Puppy Stripes' sold
6" x 6" watercolor on paper

For the last little while I've really been wanting to paint more faces that have interesting or unusual shadow patterns. And this week's Daily Paintworks challenge is stripes so I thought this was a pretty good fit. :)

I love the very design-y and graphic feel of the shadow stripes across her face contrasted with that very innocent and sweet puppy expression. The whole time I was painting her I kept thinking that this was a very 'serious' portrait, with the dramatic light and dark background, but then I would look at her eyes and her wrinkly forehead and floppy lips and then she didn't seem so serious after all.

I really like that, those contrasts and opposites together in a painting. And she looks so earnest don't you think? So willing to please. Just waiting to hear what you want her to do so she can do. Dogs are pretty much completely awesome. :)

And one last thing before I go, a really great artist friend featured me on her blog the other day. Her name is Heather Torres and I would love it if you could all go and meet her and follow her blog, she's kind of new in the blogiverse and you will like her I promise! :) Thanks for the spotlight Heather!
photo reference by Los Anheles, thank you!

21 comments:

  1. Wonderful demonstration of contrast and light. She has such an ernest expression, attentive and loveable. Wonderful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the expression on his face! You totally captured that lovely look of bull dog...

    I love the daring decision you made by including shadow patterns on his face. It takes a lot of guts to do that... And it turned out to totally add to his characters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! It made me chuckle a little when I looked at that expression. What an adorable face! And such a clever way of using the light.
    I have just got a commission to draw a Golden Labrador. I must say, I am terrified of commissions! I thought I would use pastels. Please wish me luck - unlike you I will most definitely need it :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal, he is absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! As you know I have used shadow stripes across faces off and on over the years in my work. Never fails to engage me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't tried pet portraits myself, but that is a lovely one. Happy painting and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Crystal. This is so cute. You made a beautiful painting of this doggy! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delightful painting of this boxer! I love the fact you decided to go with the shadow pattern across his face - it's unique and reads perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE this little boxer puppy....such a sweet expression.. you painted him "perfectly".

    ReplyDelete
  10. Crystal, you certainly have got that Boxer look in this painting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, you really captured that wide-eyed puppy innocense. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I absolutely adore this painting!!! It is utterly fantastic! Those same golden colors you've mastered, your fabulous, dramatic lighting and then to add the contemporary flare with the shadows of the blinds! Fantastic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Crystal...this is wonderful. The pup's expression is so sweet (the eyes are great), and then you've imposed those dramatic shadow stripes...just a marvelous painting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Crystal, do you always use photos from which to paint, or do you pull great images like this out of your minds eye as well?

    Have a good week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow ... you obviously love dogs and it shows. To have captured her so perfectly, is amazing enough, but then to introduce the contrast and complexity of the blind's shadows is a (paint)stroke of genius.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Crystal. Thanks for sharing link to my blog and the nice comments! I really loved reading all of your answers to the interview questions. You have been so helpful!!! I love your painting of the dog too. It's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that this is what you came up with to paint for the prompt word "stripes." What a sweet face and I love how the dog has that barely noticeble underbite. So freaking cute! I would be over the moon if this was my dog and you'd painted this picture of him/her. Really lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment they really do mean so much to me! Because not all bloggers have their email enabled so I can reply directly through email I will try to reply here in the comments. If I don't please forgive me, life must have been hectic that day! :)) Huzzah!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails