Friday, May 3, 2013

Refuse To Be Hidden - SOLD

'Refuse To Be Hidden'  SOLD
5 x 7 oil on masonite

'Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.' -  Marianne Williamson

I often think about the fear that is a part of being a creative person and putting your heartfelt work out into this sometimes cold and cruel world. Maybe because it is one of my own personal demons and something I am constantly battling. 

This beautiful African girl, her bright, intelligent gaze, and the way she's coming out from her hiding place behind this tree, unafraid, really touched me. This is another one of those images that I have wanted to paint so badly for so long, but put off doing it for a long time because of the fear of not doing it justice. 

So I finally told that fear to shut the heck up and painted her anyway. Just because I wanted to. No, that's not entirely true. I felt like I needed to paint her. So I did. And I love it. :)

Reference photo, with thanks, by the awesome Steve Evans.

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous painting...one of my favorites...Her skin tones are amazing....!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you were right in doing so , the portrait is gorgeous, such a sweet and 'open' face and great values.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huzzah! She is beautiful, Crystal. What a stunning portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love how her eyes shine Crystal, one of your finest. Shine on. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the quote/para in the beginning of the post..
    But I liked the painting even more. You are now completely at ease with oils. Such quality of paintings and such a trademark style of yours.. AWESOME..

    ReplyDelete
  6. You capture African children particularly beautifully, Crystal. Oils are now 'you'!

    The overcoming of fear is bravery! You have it by the ton: taking on new media when you were already an expert in others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful Crystal. The brown skin color is so nice! I'm glad you overcome of not doing justice to the photo and the girl. You did a beautiful job!xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. So pleased this sold and quickly, what a wonderful piece.
    Such a great post and lesson learned

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful and perfect - the painting and your post. XX

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know just what you mean Crystal - I am plagued by it sometimes and it's been amplified by some cruel remarks at times. So like you, I also have to tell it to shut up at times!
    Mind you, with your talent, I can't imagine ever being fearful! This painting is so beautiful. But I never expect anything else from you :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband loved this one : ) Don't you wish you could track down the model so that could see what you've painted? Wouldn't that be cool?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment they really do mean so much to me! Because not all bloggers have their email enabled so I can reply directly through email I will try to reply here in the comments. If I don't please forgive me, life must have been hectic that day! :)) Huzzah!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails