Thursday, February 7, 2013

On My Terms

'On My Terms' 
5" x 7" oil on panel
$65 plus $8 US shipping, or $20 International


So my last painting was a mouse, today's is a cat. Any guesses about what tomorrow's will be? ;) I loved this close up view of this curious kitty because it made her eyes larger than life. And her markings are very unusual which I found very interesting. I love Siamese kitties. :) 

I had this painting finished but didn't post yesterday because I was on a field trip with my son. We had a lot of fun, cross country skiing (more on that in a minute), snowshoeing, and building some seriously cool ice caves. By the time I got home it was too dark to photograph so here it is today. I've been focusing on close ups of faces of all kinds with oils lately because I am driven to master this in my style. I was exactly the same when I started in watercolors. Obsessive much? 

I always volunteer to chaperone on field trips because my kids really like me to go (and I love that) and it's fun to see them interact with their friends and discover new things. This time I thought I'd just be watching over my son and his little group of friends I was assigned to. I did not think I'd be skiing (let me inform you that I have never in my life been skiing before, of any kind). So. . . I didn't really come prepared. No snow pants. And I wore my favorite suede boots. (Yes, major DUH on my part). 

But, trying to be a good sport, I strapped on my skis and gave it a whirl. I mean how hard could it be? We were on mostly flat land for goodness sake. Going straight in these little worn out trails from a million other skiers before us. Not downhill. I couldn't get into that much trouble. Or so I thought.

Everything was going well until we reached this hill that wasn't very steep but was very looooong. And then. . . I was an out of control woman on skis. I couldn't stop! Seriously. I was gaining speed ridiculously fast. The hill wasn't steep, but it was super slick and the next thing I know I'm on the ground, ski strapped feet up in the air. Snow melting into my non-snow pants (ie: jeans) covered bottom. 

Along comes an instructor (where were you 30 seconds ago hmmm?) saying "keep your knees to your skis!" (a direct quote from the video they had us watch about how to get up once you'd fallen) in an all too cheerful voice as he zooms past me. 

I get up. And try again. I fall. Again. I get up. I fall. This pattern repeats quite a lot over the next ten minutes. And I STILL haven't made it down that hill. I can't even see my little group of fifth grade charges anymore. They gone. Long gone.

I fall one last time. Ski instructor zooms past again, still so cheerfully calling out to me "Keep your knees to your skis!" I grumble under my breath that if he says that one more time I've got a much better place for my knee to go.   

This is when I admit defeat. I need to find my group of kids. So I take my skis off and decide to walk the rest of the way down the hill. Unfortunately this is where I lose my grip on one of my skis and off it goes zooming down the hill of its own accord, unencumbered by its not so graceful host. I take off after it, running, no sprinting, down that hill to catch my rogue ski, when suddenly it veers off into the wilderness. 

Naturally I decide to follow it. Pretty soon I'm not running anymore, but marching through deep, deep snow, sinking lower with each step. I look around and notice the trees sure are little in this part of the woods, only about two feet tall. I can even touch the tops of them. A red flag pops up in my head. I can't see the ski anymore and I really don't care at this point because I've just realized that these are not little trees, they are the bare tops of trees that are covered in tons of snow. 

Now I realize why I kept feeling like I was sinking. Because I was! I get the heck out of there faster than a shopper at midnight on Black Friday. The ski's on its own. It's every woman for herself. 

I survived and lived to paint another day. I found my kids, and I told the instructor that I lost a ski (he was ever so nice about this, which made me inwardly cringe about my earlier grumbling about where to put my knee) and the rest of the day was spent with a much lower stress level on my part, and a lot of snowball throwing on the kids part.

It was a good day. But I was never more happy to get into my nice warm house than I was last night. 

At least I won't have to do this again. At least. . . not for a few more years until my second grader is in fifth grade.

*Gulp*

Reference photo by Tiffany Lauren, thank you! 

18 comments:

  1. wow, that's close contact. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Roger! You know how much I value your opinion. :)

      Delete
  2. CRYSTAL!!! I had a hard time reading this post...I never liked Alfred Hitchcock so I don't like to be scared...glad you're home and safe!! But I'm so happy that you volunteer as a chaperone..I did a few times for my grandkids since their Mom works full time. I enjoy it but sad that she misses out...ANYWAY, I LOVE this painting you did of the cat..his eyes are fantastic and so beautifully painted!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Hilda! Me too!! It was scary! I think it's so great that you volunteer since their Mom works. I bet your grandkids love that. My mom does that sometimes too. :) And thanks for the compliment!

      Delete
  3. Well, that was quite an adventure!!! Sounds like you may not be doing much cross-country skiing for a while.
    But on to the painting. Crystal, those eyes are magnificent!!! ELECTRIC BLUE, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adventure is right Kathryn! Thanks so much my friend. :)

      Delete
  4. Wow! Those eyes are awesome. Love this painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AHAHAHAHAHA! You made me laugh so hard Crystal! sorry, I know it wasn't funny. NO, it IS!! hahaha!!!
    I'm happy you made it back home safe and sound :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA HA HA!!! Teresa you are right it IS funny! I was laughing at myself I felt like such an idiot. :) Thanks friend.

      Delete
  6. Love to see your creations! Beautiful glimpses into your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that cat is brilliant! I LOVE the bright blue eyes - Yep - another of my favorites!!
    And I laughed my head off when I read about your unexpected skiing episode - I swear I would break every bone in my body if that were me! Hats off to you for having a go - I'm not sure I'd have been brave enough ;0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you so much Sandra! :) I'm glad you got a laugh, I thought it was pretty funny too. :D And I'm sure you would have been brave enough, and probably would have been much more graceful than me too!

      Delete
  8. Ha ha ha. Looks like you had a whale of a time (Only the whale almost ate you up). LOL.. Really enjoyed reading your experience.

    And coming to the painting.. Those blue eyes really make it unusual and strong. By the way you are already a master. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Indeed we did have a whale of a time Prabal. :) Glad you enjoyed the read. And thank you so much for those comments about the painting, you are too kind. :D

      Delete
  9. What an adventure! Field trips are so much fun with the kids. What I want to know is, where are the pictures?" :) LOL I think you could sketch some and write a picture book with this. Sounds like another "Perils of Pauline" to me.......:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha I could see a picture book about this! Maybe I will write it out. Would be fun. :) And would you believe that I forgot my camera?! Mother fail!!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment they really do mean so much to me! Because not all bloggers have their email enabled so I can reply directly through email I will try to reply here in the comments. If I don't please forgive me, life must have been hectic that day! :)) Huzzah!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails