Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Make the time to do what you love

Detail from new 5 x 7 colored pencil piece
on Ampersand Pastelbord

Worked on this the other day while waiting for my son at his guitar lesson. In the car. :) 

Some of you seem surprised that I draw in the car. I guess it is a little strange. I'm just weird like that. ;) And something that I can NOT stand is waiting with nothing to do. I hate it. I feel like that's such a time waster. And I feel like time is such a limited resource you know? Of course you do. We live in a busy world with hectic lives.

So I'm going to tell you guys how I do it. And why. First with the how:


I work small. I prefer working small. I don't know why I just do. I'm sure one day I'll get tired of working small, but right now I'm happy where I'm at. Working small, and with just pencils, makes it very easy to take on the go. Above is what I always take when I know I'm going to be sitting in the car for at least ten minutes. An envelope of photos I want to draw, a small box of colored pencils in the colors I think I'll use, a small sketchbook (mine's 6 x 6), and my 5 x 7 work in progress (protected in a clear bag). 
 

And here it is all stacked up. Not too big right? Since I'm usually bringing my four year old's bag of things to do too I stick it in there and we are good to go. And then while littlest Cook is busy playing his Leapster, I get to draw for a few minutes. Works like a charm. 
Now to the why? Because. . . well, see the pic below. :) 





Because I, we, need to make the time to do what we love.  And if that means drawing for ten minutes at a time in the car then so be it. :) Photo courtesy of namaste cafe.

So, how do you make time to do what you love?

12 comments:

  1. That is such a better thing to do in the car than check Facebook:) I'm in awe of the detail you get on a 5x7 especially with a portrait! Way to utilize your time and talents we can all take a lesson:) And thank goodness for Leapsters:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Carrie! :) I've gotten so used to working small and honestly I really love it. Found it hard in the beginning, but getting easier over time.

      Delete
  2. I'm with you on not wasting moments just waiting. Though I don't take art stuff I always have a book with me or paperwork, something. What you do with those few supplies is just stunning, I'm drooling over that sketch of the horses head, regal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bren! I hesitated showing that horse because I didn't get it quite right. And I really wanted to! Must try it again, but thank you for the compliment, means a lot. :)

      Delete
  3. I am SO glad you posted this! Best post ever! Apart from all the others of course, lol! But seriously, I really want to make a sketching kit I'll actually use - because my watercolour kit never gets touched - too messy :0)
    I never usually work with coloured pencils though - so that could be a new challenge to get used too :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's a really good practice that you bring your art kit wherever you go. It keeps you thinking and DOING art all day long, which is always good, and it's a wonderful example for your son and for anybody else who sees you, to know that there is no excuse for not doing the things you love and really want to do! You can fit them into your day somehow! I love the portrait too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful that you can sketch in the car, Crystal...I'm sure it helps to pass the time away waiting for your son...this portrait is beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes.. Find time to do what you love to do..Thats a great reminder.. I must go and sketch now.. Not in the car though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that kit looks so portable, hmmm... good thinking Crystal:)

    That quote is going straight to my wall <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Such an inspiration! When I get 10 minutes to myself--I veg out from exhaustion. Ha! It'll get better. But I love your work so much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just the kick in the pants I need today. Thanks Crystal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate sitting around waiting, too. But you ... you make such wonderful use of your time!
    The work-in-progress is gorgeous. I love how you bring all those colors into the hair!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment they really do mean so much to me! Because not all bloggers have their email enabled so I can reply directly through email I will try to reply here in the comments. If I don't please forgive me, life must have been hectic that day! :)) Huzzah!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails