Monday, January 21, 2013

Beauty - Andalusian horse - SOLD

'Beauty - Andalusian horse'  SOLD
5 x 7 inch oil on panel

Admittedly, 'Beauty', isn't that much of an original title for a painting of a horse, but that's the thought that kept coming back to me as I was painting him. He  is a beauty. Absolutely beautiful. 

Sometimes when I'm painting I get in the zone and once I'm done I don't remember much of the actual process. I don't know if this is a result of painting a lot, much like driving a car,  how you forget about mundane things like turning on your blinker, and pushing the gas to go, or if it's something else, something deeper. That I'm lost in the creative act so much that I tune everything else out maybe? 

In any case, I do remember the painting process of this one very vividly. I remember it being so enjoyable, so fun. And I remember being absolutely amazed at seeing this beautiful horse's face emerge from a blank piece of masonite board.  Amazed that I actually did that!

This convinces me that I SHOULD keep oil painting in addition to my watercolors. There was so much joy in discovery while painting this and I want to experience that again. And I'm also really happy with the realism I achieved here, which has proved pretty elusive at times with oils for me. 

I feel like this 30 day challenge has made me realize some things about myself and my art. It's been really good for me. But I'll save what I've learned for another blog post. I've rambled on enough for today, just one more thing. . . 

Me and my little family went for a drive in the country the other day. I brought my camera, hoping to find something that caught my eye, and heart, to paint. I saw this guy, crouched in a field, tearing at his dinner still clutched in his talons (blegh). When I got out of the car he flew away but I managed to take this pic before he left. I don't know if I'll paint him or not, but it was a pretty awesome sight to see. :) 
This is painting 17/30 in the 30 paintings in 30 days challenge.

Reference photo by Just Chaos, thank you!

13 comments:

  1. He is a beauty and you are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO glad you seem more sure of yourself today. You were made to create art no matter what medium you use. It's all you and all from your heart. I really couldn't choose between your oils or your watercolours!
    This is another 'beauty'! The name is perfect! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS: Its my turn for a confidence crisis today - It seems to do the rounds doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic photograph. It really does stand on its own; there's nothing more a painting could say.

    Beauty, is a beauty. Your handling of the lights and shadows is superb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Girl you can paint anything! Love this one. And can totally to zoning out....keep up the amazing work...multi talented for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soulful, that's what I think about when I look at his face, his eyes. So glad you are going to keep oils in the mix of what you work with, you're getting some amazing results. Just love this 'beauty!'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful Andalusian, Crystal....and don't ya just hate it when those wonderful birds fly away. If only they would get saavy and turn and smile. :) You still got a cool shot. Happy Day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. He's gorgeous! Beautiful portrait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What soulful eyes on the horse, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is one of my favorites! Just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Precioso, los caballos de nuestra tierra son muy bellos :)

    Un saludo.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment they really do mean so much to me! Because not all bloggers have their email enabled so I can reply directly through email I will try to reply here in the comments. If I don't please forgive me, life must have been hectic that day! :)) Huzzah!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails