Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Companion SOLD

'Companion' SOLD
5 x 7 inches watercolor on paper


I saw this horse at our local county fair a few years ago. It was outside in a riding arena filled with soft dirt and the sun was bouncing off the dirt and onto this horse's already red coat and it was so beautiful. Glowing! I tried to capture that look here. I loved the glow of light so much, but the horse's bridle isn't fitted quite properly so I put off painting it, but then, following my gut who has never led me astray before, I decided to just go for it anyway. 

Because the look in the horse's eye, so gentle and intelligent, and his glowing red coat was too much to pass by! And maybe the not quite perfect fit of his bridle makes him a little more endearing. I think so anyway. :) I like to imagine that his owner is a little girl who tried her best to make her horse look beautiful, even if he's not quite perfect, to her he is. 

"All horses deserve, at least once in their lives, to be loved by a little girl." - Anon

This is painting 7/30 for the 30 paintings in 30 days challenge

13 comments:

  1. I just love your cropped paintings, Crystal!!!
    This is absolutely beautiful, once again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. You have captured him beautifully, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know what to say. This is phenomenal. The glow of the chestnut's coat is superb, and his eyes really do radiate peace and intelligence.
    BRAVO, CRYSTAL!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, Crystal!! You have done a great job of keeping up with the challenge. I am one behind. Getting up early again with my boys for school is wearing me out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your description is as poetic as your painting, Crystal... magical.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bridle is very well done. Good you had a try with it! Most artists paint only the horse itself, so it makes this one even more interesting. Such a wonderful redish glowing colour! I understand this horse caught your eyes! So pretty. It reminds me a bit of the horse that I rented for some weeks a while back. Cosa nostra. And she is also very sweet. Take care! See you soon again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I for one wouldn't know how a bridle is supposed to fit - even though I used to ride when I was younger, lol!
    Wow, this is SO beautiful! I LOVE the glow of the horses coat. You really have captured it just as you describe :0)
    You'd think that by having to do thirty paintings in thirty days, you might risk producing a lower quality of work through rushing - but this is not so at all! Your paintings so far in this challenge are all as exquisite as your usual work. How you do it is beyond me! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You go girl! Such a beautiful piece, saw it first on facebook and was able to view it up close, such talent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such rich colour and love his look. proud creatures that seem to know how to work the camera,
    Your work is so expressive. I was given water colour paints and paper as a gift, What a mess
    wet paper all over the place, too much colour and then not enough!
    So i envy your beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You do some fabulous compositions in such a small space. None of the drama or detail is lost! Just gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Crystal:) Perfect!!! The glow and color are so nice. You did it again:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment they really do mean so much to me! Because not all bloggers have their email enabled so I can reply directly through email I will try to reply here in the comments. If I don't please forgive me, life must have been hectic that day! :)) Huzzah!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails