Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Tenacious - SOLD, and 10 things I've learned from 30 paintings in 30 days

'Tenacious'  SOLD
5" x 7" oil on panel

Reference photo, with thanks, by Steve Evans 

Note: You have been warned, this post is looooong. :) I won't be offended if you skip it if it doesn't interest you. Well. . . maybe a little, but I'll get over it I promise! ;)

Well it's nearly over. 30 paintings in 30 days. When I started out on this challenge I knew it would be, well, um. . . a 'challenge.' :) For two years in a row I did NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month, where you write an entire 50,000 word novel in 30 days). So I knew that any kind of creative commitment that involves producing work every single day is tough.


In fact, since the last NaNo I did (2011), I haven't written consistently since. Why? Because I got severely burned out. It is wicked hard to maintain serious creative energy without a break for that length of time and maintain your passion for creating at the same time.

But I feel more passionate about painting than I ever have about writing. Painting is woven into every single piece of who I am, while writing is just for fun, a 'hobby', not a life sustaining endeavor (which is what painting is to me, sometimes I feel like I can't breathe if I go too long without painting). With my passion for painting so strong I hoped I wouldn't feel burned out by doing this 30x30 challenge.

But I was wrong. I did feel burn out at times. But I didn't let it stop me from painting, I didn't let it kill that passion that I have for creating art. Because I need to paint, and so I have always found a way to work around whatever road block is in my way so that I can.

So, here are ten things that 30 paintings in 30 days has taught me:

1. Don't ever run out of chocolate. Seriously. Keep a secret stash somewhere or something. Trust me, you'll need it in those moments when the last three paintings you've attempted have resulted in nothing but a big pile of suckage reminiscent of the world's largest dung heap.

2. Don't expect every single painting to be a masterpiece. This was a hard one for me, and something that a few of my good online painting buddies had to knock into my head a few times (you know who you are, ahem, Carrie, Sandra, Teresa, and Bren. Really all of you. All of you helped pull me out of my self pity mire). It is highly unrealistic, and stressful, to think that every single thing you produce needs to be a huge success. And to stand before a blank piece of paper or panel with that thought at the front of your mind is just setting yourself up for disaster.

3. Don't think you have to paint like anyone other than yourself.  In order to produce a finished painting every day I sometimes thought that I needed to paint like someone else, so I could paint faster, not like my detail oriented, accuracy driven self. And so some of the work I produced this month didn't satisfy me completely. It took me a while to realize that this is what was bothering me when I started to feel burned out, but when I finally did I embraced the fact that I should only ever paint like myself, detailitis and all. Because painting any other way, forcing myself to be 'loose' when it doesn't come naturally to me at all, is being dishonest. And I believe that in order to paint with feeling and emotion you have to be completely honest with yourself first.

4. Everyone needs a dragon day. In the middle of my burned out period this month I started sculpting little dragons out of clay, just for fun. I did this on Sundays, which is my permanent day off from painting (30 x 30 challenge or not I still wasn't planning to paint on Sunday). When I was talking to my sister about how I was feeling so uninspired about painting, but so excited about making cute little dragons she started calling Sundays my 'dragon day.' And I liked that idea so much that I now call Sundays my dragon day, whether I'm sculpting a little dragon, or putting together a photo album, or baking a new yummy treat. A dragon day is a day where you refill your creative well, it's a day to do anything creative that you want, just for fun, with no expectations that anything will come of it other than the joy you get from the act of creating. 

5. Don't try to paint a portrait (or any other difficult, complex subject) every single day for 30 days. Just don't. Trust me on this. Portraits are my favorite thing to paint, but they are also very draining for me. I feel like I put more of myself into one of my portraits than I do any other subject, so to paint them for 30 days straight would leave me nothing but a blibbering idiot by the end of the month.

6. Don't doubt yourself. Love thyself fellow artist! Repeat after me: You is kind. You is smart. You is important. And you is a good artist. Don't ever forget it.

7. Streamline your housework and meal planning. Or whatever other work you do. Now is not the time to volunteer to bake your son's class personalized cupcakes with each child's name iced in calligraphy. Now is not the time to deep clean your basement and closets. Now is the time to do the basics of housework and cook reliable, family favorite meals.

8. Keep yourself surrounded with things that inspire you. Visit other artist's blogs and websites that leave you breathless with their beautiful work! Read books or magazine articles, or listen to podcasts (like this one) that talk about the life of an artist, their thought process, and what they do to stay inspired. Pin an inspiring quote, favorite photos that you want to paint, or pictures of paintings you love above your workspace to motivate you. Keep a journal of the things you see in your daily life that make you pause and see how beautiful your life really is. In other words, enjoy the journey that is your life.

9. Forgive yourself. So you didn't do 30 paintings in 30 days, you only did 17. So what?? You tried, you painted your heart out, and you accomplished great things anyway. If you need further reassurance go back and read #6 of this list.

10.  Recognize that this challenge is more about the journey than the destination. Trite perhaps, but so true. It's not a race, there's no need to compare yourself to anyone else. This challenge is about you and your art and what it means to you and no one else. It's not about the end result, it's about the process of painting and the joy it brings you.


28 comments:

  1. I want to write a longer comment but I'm late for school -- so I'll do that later today. Now I just want to say: Crystal, you rock! There is so much truth and great advice in this post and you said A lot of what I feel Better than myself! May you always enjoy your journey, live your passion and have fabulous dragondays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Sounds like the 30-day journey has been an eye-opener in some ways. Nice that you could analyse what was going on, and even nicer that you have shared it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! I have thoroughly enjoyed the challenge and seeing all the artwork. I am sure we have all had our issues with the challenge, but I got so much more out of it than I ever dreamed. As always love seeing your work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crystal, this is my new favorite painting of yours, funny that I can almost see it as a watercolor painting, I truly see YOU in this painting. It is lovely. When I think you are the most amazing artist EVER, you go and get better. I can see how oils have grown on you. I dipped into my chocolate stash and have a few more paintings to go, than may take a few days off from my brushes :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I read every word! And thanks for writing about the struggle, the solution to some of the struggles, and including a good sense of humor, to boot! Your work is gorgeous and continues to be so, whether you are painting every day or just once a week or spending more time with dragons :) You did it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your painting. She is beautiful! Love your post! So many of your points hit home for me. I'm not that great at expressing it so I really enjoy how you can so well. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an extraordinary painter you are!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great post, Crystal.....and I love her tenacity

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderfully expressed, Crystal! I, too, have learned a lot from this experience - some things positive and some not so positive, but it's been a great month!

    Love your painting! Steve Evans' photographs are such good reference and he is so generous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woww, Is very very beautiful your blog and your work, you are a great artist. congratulations. Kisses from Spain.

    http://redecoratelg.blogspot.com.es/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved this post! Not too long at all! Very helpful and fun to read.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great way with words! Your insight says what we all were thinking! Way to go to help encourage us all in our painting endeavor.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post, Crystal, thank you!
    I have young boys, too, and you set such a great example for BALANCE (my keyword for this year!). I LOVE the idea of a "Dragon Day". I think I need to find a way to incorporate that!
    Beautiful painting, too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful painting - the light is lovely. I'm going to say 30 is the new 90 for me after going through this month. You have an engaging writing style too so you are multi-gifted!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a spectacular finale painting to the challenge! That sunlight across her beautiful little face, her eyes, her expression... just amazing :0)
    You must be SO glad you did the challenge now it's over - even if you did doubt it sometimes along the way. What a great achievement. And I wonder how many of those paintings you would have done and wouldn't have done had you not done the challenge...? Have you thought about that too? :0)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great post Crystal...and this portrait is absolutely flawless. I have to admit, I have enjoyed seeing everyones' paintings from the challenges..it was a wonderful month for me as well...Who needs Museums when you can enjoy all these paintings right here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome Crystal!! I was putting together my somewhat analitical list of learnings and questions yesterday for my blog and I thought I was done. But then a giant sense of JOY overtook me...the kind that bubbles up from the belly...I DID IT!!! And you did too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent challenge, paintings and thoughts in your post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful and well written post about the 30/30. Love seeing your work!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a true and beautiful posting. Wow. That's it. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing Crystal, your work is a joy! I will maybe use this post as a reference when my confidence for creating at the easel is waivering! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful, constructive post! Thank you, thank you, thank you. 8-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Number One : Don't EVER run out of chocolate.
    Enough said :D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Crystal, I think I'm going to print out your list and pin it in my studio. So well said! And excellent key points to remember. Especially no.1 ; )

    ReplyDelete
  25. p.s. I forgot to say this is an excellent painting!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hallo Crystal:) You're such a sweet person. What a lovely and funny post. You made me laugh:) I think you would be a great writer too!
    Your portrait is beautiful. The expression is great. Now you have a little rest! Have a fine weekend:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment they really do mean so much to me! Because not all bloggers have their email enabled so I can reply directly through email I will try to reply here in the comments. If I don't please forgive me, life must have been hectic that day! :)) Huzzah!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails